I called and he said, Sadie's been hit. Sadie is our 10 month old lab...whom we love dearly. I said, how bad is it? And it caught him off guard and was quiet for a minute. I said, is she done? And he said, no, but there's something wrong with her leg...can you take off and take her to the vet? I said yes, I'd be there as soon as I could. H is a trooper and he just couldn't take off to take her so I did. He had originally forgot his wallet yesterday morning, so he had came back to the house to get it and that's when he found her. God wanted him to forget his wallet yesterday morning.

I forgot this part...Sadie is a black labrador retriever (and if you have labs, you know what this means). Non. Stop. Party. Plus, add that she's still a pup. So times that by 10. We could not keep her in a kennel. She dug out, tore the chain link fence off and everything else. We resorted to tying her up in the day while we were at work. Every once in a while, she could Houdini herself off the chain or slip the collar off. Well, yesterday was one of those days.
So back to the story. H met me at the house and helped me get her loaded. She had a good amount of blood on the blanket we laid her on. We got to the vet's office and he was waiting on me. We took her back and he didn't think she had been hit by a car. He wanted to give her a sedative and after it kicked in, he would staple her open wounds.
| Stupid, mean vet. |
Well, he did go ahead and run x-rays, and then called H. She tore her MCL (basically a ligament injury). She is in a cast for 6 weeks. We take her back in 10 days to remove the staples. She is doing remarkably well. She's still getting her sealegs. It is a whole hip cast, so naturally my first question...how will she pee/poop? Well, she kicks that one leg out and squats on the other....it just came naturally to her (thank you, Jesus!!!).
Sadie was strictly an outdoors dog...so I expected the worst last night with 2 cats. Sloopy took right to her. She headbutts her and Sadie licks her. Woody has not warmed up to her yet, but he will be fine. She slept in our room beside me last night. H took her out before bed to potty and I woke up at 5:50 and took her out...no accidents! She's spoiled already.
Oh yeah...wanna sign her cast?
| It was a major hunting accident. Yeah, that's it...a hunting accident. |
I feel for you. We have a lab too and I remember those puppy days - Well to be honest he's 4 years old and still acts like a puppy - but I know it will be hard to have her in a cast on her and on you guys.
ReplyDeleteAwww, I'm so sorry for Sadie. She is such a beautiful dog. I'm going to pray real hard for her to heal well. Please keep us posted on her condition. I'm so glad to be back in blogland!
ReplyDeleteMaureen